background image

Identification Card


The Wisconsin Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division (DMV) issues non-driver identification cards to State residents who don't have a valid ID card, driver license or instruction permit from the State or any other jurisdiction. The ID card can be used to prove your identity, age, and residence in a variety of situations. The identification card is valid for eight years, and expires on your birthday eight years after it was issued.

How to Apply for a Wisconsin Identification Card

Locate the Office of Motor Vehicles nearest you, as you will have to apply for the ID card in person. You cannot apply online.

Complete the Driver License/Identification Card form.

Bring proper identification. You will be asked to present two pieces of primary identification.

You must also provide proof of your social security number (SSN). If you have never been issued a SSN, you may be required to obtain one, or else sign a Statement of Not Eligible for Social Security Number form.

Provide proof of Wisconsin residence.

Pay the ID card application fee, currently $33.50, by cash or check. The Wisconsin DMV does not accept payments by credit or debit card, but many locations have an ATM. Confirm the exact fee with your local DMV Office.

You must also surrender any valid driver license or instruction permit issued by the state of Wisconsin or any other jurisdiction.

How to apply for a FREE Wisconsin ID card for Voting

If you are a U.S. citizen, will be at least 18 years of age by the next election, and would like a Wisconsin ID card to vote, please check the ID for FREE box when completing the MV3004 (Wisconsin Identification Card (ID) application) or when applying online. 

A Document Verification Petition Process is available if fees arise in order to obtain a free ID card for voting. This petition process is available if any of the following applies: 

Applicant is unable to provide documents for proof of name and date of birth as required by Wis. Admin. Code § Trans 102.15(3)(a) but which require a fee to a government agency to obtain. This includes documentation needed for proof of legal name change.

Applicant is unable to provide documents for proof of United States citizenship as required by Wis. Admin. Code § Trans 102.15(3m) but which require a fee to a government agency to obtain. 

A free ID card is NOT available under the following circumstances: 

If you currently have a valid, unexpired  driver license (DL), you are not eligible under Wisconsin law to obtain an ID.

If you will not be at least 18 years of age on the date of the next election.

If you are not eligible to vote in Wisconsin.

DMV does not have information regarding voter eligibility, poll locations, voter registration information or other election information. Please contact your local election officials or county clerk for election information. The Government Accountability Board is another useful source of information. 

Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV: (608) 266-2353