DIVISION STREET DETOUR ROUTE MAP (updated 3-29-18)
At today's weekly progress meeting, we confirmed that the contractor will begin underground utility work at the Wolf River Ave/Division Street intersection starting on Monday, June 25th. This means the detour route will be flipped to Beacon Street starting on Monday, June 25th as well. In preparation of that work, a crew will begin pulverizing and removing the asphalt from the road at Beacon Street to Wolf River Ave starting tomorrow or Friday (June 21nd or 22nd). If you have been parking your car on the street along this stretch we ask that you begin parking on side streets as work will begin in this stretch as early as tomorrow.
Waupaca County Highway Department (WCHD) is now working on preparing equipment, materials and manpower to start road reconstruction from Beacon Ave to Beckert Road. Some work will be completed by WCHD in the next few weeks however the bulk of their force will begin major road reconstruction starting July 9th.
At an update meeting today we discussed the progress of construction from Beacon Street to Beckert Road. The utility contractor anticipates finishing up most of, if not all of the underground work in this section around June 22nd. At that point Waupaca County Highway Department will begin the roadwork phase of the project. The utility contractor will then begin work from Wolf River Avenue to Beacon Street. STARTING SOMETIME DURING THE WEEK OF JUNE 25 THE SIGNED DETOUR ROUTE WILL FLIP TO BEACON STREET AS CONSTRUCTION WILL BEGIN AT THE CORNER OF WOLF RIVER AVE/DIVISION STREET. Reference the "Division Street Detour Route Map" for more information. The detour route may flip back and forth a bit between Wolf River Ave and Beacon Street during this phase of the project. Please be aware of this and watch the detour signs for notification where to go.
We were just notified that it is getting a bit difficult for the garbage and recycling trucks to make their way though on Division Street with all the equipment that is being used for the construction project, so our garbage provider has requested that we ask residents to put garbage and recycling receptacles on the nearest side street and they will empty them from that location.
The contractor for the Division Street project will be working in the intersections of Division/Rowland and Division/Oak sometime today. This temporary "pass through" route will be closed starting in the afternoon of Tuesday, May 22nd and is anticipated to reopen on Thursday May 24th. Waupaca County Highway
Today the contractor will be working in the area of Washington Street. As indicated on the Detour Route Map (see above) our goal was to keep Washington Street open as a pass through street when it was not under construction. We anticipate the contractor will be working in this intersection today and tomorrow (Tuesday May 1st) so during this time this intersection will be closed.
Today the City of New London, Waupaca County and the Contractor will be working on some snow removal in the sidewalk terrace so we can begin the Division Street reconstruction project tomorrow. THE DETOUR AROUND DIVISION STREET WILL GO INTO EFFECT TOMORROW (TUESDAY, APRIL 24). Click the link above for the detour map. The main construction work will begin at the intersection of Beacon and Division Street, with some other work beginning south of that intersection. Please refer to this page for official information during the project.
On Monday April 23rd we will be meeting with the contractor, our engineer and Waupaca County Highway Department to discuss moving forward with the Division Street project. Depending on the outcome of this meeting the detour route and project may begin early next week. Stay tuned to this web page for up to date information.
Due to this weekend's snow storm, the start date for the Division Street reconstruction project has been put on hold at this time.
Next week we will begin picking up yard waste in front of city properties. Please click here to see the schedule and placement requirements. For Division Street residents, we should be able to pick up yard waste as normal from properties in between Wolf River Ave and Beacon Street as well as properties between Oak Street and Beckert Road. Since the initial construction is planned to begin at the intersection of Division Street and Beacon Street we're asking that property owners between Beacon Street and Oak Street place ALL yard waste on top of the curb instead of in the street and we will attempt to collect this yard waste during the normal pick up schedule.
Mother nature is not helping in removing the frost from the ground, so the main start of the Division Street re-construction project has been delayed for another week. Below are the new points to be aware of:
- The bulk of the re-construction is now planned to begin on April 16th.
- The Division Street road closure and detour route will begin on April 16th.
- The contractor will however begin some isolated water main replacement along Division Street during the week of April 9th, however these work zones will be confined to the immediate locations where the contractor will be completing this work.
- Mail Delivery to the temporary mailbox banks for properties south of Warren Street will begin on April 16th. (Click here for the map showing those locations).
Because Division Street will be closed for the remainder of this school year and possibility the beginning of the next school year (in the fall), we have been working with the three schools that are located in that area to assist with bus traffic routes and parent drop off/pick up locations. Please click on the map link below for more information. "No parking" zones will also be created in certain areas to allow room for buses to access the schools. We may expand or reduce these zones once the project begins. Please note that these "no parking" zones will only be in effect during school hours. If you have questions about the bus routes or parent drop off/pick up locations please contact the school office for your child.
SCHOOL DROP OFF/PICK UP LOCATIONS
Yesterday a pre-construction meeting was held with the contractor to discuss some of the details on the project. Below are some talking points that are important to pass on:
- The original construction start date was planned for April 2nd. There is a lot of frost in the ground yet and temperatures are anticipated to continue to be below freezing at night for the next week. Because of this we are pushing the start date back at this time to Monday, April 9th. We will further evaluate conditions as time goes on and push the start date back further if necessary.
- Since the start date has been pushed back, implementing the detour route will also be pushed back until the construction start date.
- For those who have curbside mailboxes, the start date when your mail will be delivered to the temporary mail box banks will also be pushed back to April 9th.
- It was anticipated that the contractor would start construction at the intersection of Wolf River Ave and Division Street. After further conversation with Waupaca County Highway Department it was determined that a better solution was to team up with the Highway Department and begin construction at the intersection of Beacon Street and Division street and proceed south from there. The contractor will then come back and work between Wolf River Ave and Beacon at a later date. This will push the initial detour route north along Wolf River Ave. Click here for the updated detour route.
- The subcontractor who will be installing the sanitary sewer laterals confirmed that he is able to "pipe burst" cast iron pipes as well as clay tile pipes.
- The subcontractor who is installing the sanitary sewer laterals will be contacting each property owner by phone to set up times to evaluate each property independently to determine the best method for replacing each non-compliant sanitary sewer lateral.
- We've had requests from several property owners to see if they could have additional concrete work done on their property (for example replace a driveway or sidewalk on their private property). The concrete subcontractor is interested in providing quotes for additional work. If you have concrete work that you would like to get a quote on, please contact the New London Public Works Department at 920-982-8503 and have your name added to our interest list.
The Division Street reconstruction project is planned to begin on April 2nd, 2018. The project will include the entire stretch of Division Street from Wolf River Avenue to Beckert Road. A full street reconstruction will occur from Wolf River Avenue to Oak Street. This includes new sanitary and storm sewer, new curb and gutter, new sidewalk and new pavement. From Oak Street to Beckert Road the street will be replaced with a "mill and overlay" method which removes several inches of asphalt from the road and applies a new layer of asphalt on top. Some new sidewalk will also be added along this stretch on both sides of Division Street.
On March 1st another public information meeting was held for the residents along Division Street. The following day city staff recorded a video providing the same information that was presented at the public meeting. That video can be viewed by clicking the link below:
Division Street Project Information Video.
Utility replacement in this project is planned to occur through the beginning of August, after that street reconstruction will begin and is anticipated to run through mid fall.
A meeting has been scheduled for Tuesday, March 13 at 7:03pm on Special Assessments for Division Street. Click here to view a copy of the notice.
Garbage & Recycling:
The Garbage and Recycling haulers will attempt to pick up garbage and recycling as normal in front of your house, however their will be times during the construction that a garbage truck will not be able to access the street in front of your house. If during the project you see that a truck will not be able to pick up your receptacle in front of your property, please put your receptacle at the nearest side street street for collection. We also ask that you put your address on your garbage and recycling containers so if a container starts to float around the neighbored we can bring it back to your property. If you have questions or concerns about Garbage and Recycling pick up, please contact your service provider.
Public Information Meeting - Handout
Public Information Meeting - Notes
Public Information Meeting - Power Point Presentation (in PDF)
OMNNI Engineering continues to work on the Division Street project. Soil borings are planned for some time in April to determine the current pavement thickness, road stone thickness and the condition of the sub base material. This will be used to determine the required base course (Stone thickness) for this project. On February 23rd, two OMNNI Engineering representatives, the Waupaca
County Highway Department Commissioner and I put on a Public Information meeting for the Division Street project. OMNNI did a short presentation and we answered questions about the project as residents reviewed the street layout done by OMNNI. OMNNI provided a comment sheet for residents to fill out and they put together the meeting notes.